Thursday, March 24, 2011

Wheel of Time Fantasy Cast

The Girls

Egwene
Emmy Rossum

I considered a lot of people for Egwene al'Vere including Ellen Page, Natalie Portman, and others. In the end, Emmy Rossum matched my mental image the best. Egwene is my second favorite character in the entire series and I feel confident about my choice. Emmy can play the innocent village girl who is curious about the One Power and trains under Moiraine, but I believe she could also play the powerful Amyrlin that she becomes. This picture shows both at once and I absolutely love her for this role. You may know her from Poseidon, The Phantom of the Opera, and The Day After Tomorrow.


Nynaeve
Lena Headey

Nynaeve was actually a really hard choice for me. There were a lot of people who I thought could handle the personality but not the look and vice versa. Finally I found Lena Headey and I knew that she was the one. She looks like she can kick ass and that she has a temper plus she matches Nynaeve's description. I could just see her trying to control everything around her, getting frustrated at her block, healing those around her, and being in love with the character I chose for Lan. You may know her from Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, 300, and The Brothers Grimm. The only potential problem I see with this is that she is currently part of the Tv series Game of Thrones which, as we all know, is one of Wheel of Time's biggest rivals.

Moiraine Damodred

Sandra Bullock

Sandra is perfect for the role of Moiraine. She fits the description, even down to being short and she is one of the strongest-willed people I know. I could see her in all her various roles, including her recent one in ToM and I can see her being Lan's Aes Sedai. Just hang a blue gem on her forehead and call her Moiraine. You may know her from The Blindside, The Proposal, Premonition, The Lake House, Miss Congeniality, Two Weeks Notice, Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, 28 Days, Practical Magic, and more.



I have seen a lot of people put down Rachel Weisz for Moiraine so I thought she deserved an honorable mention. I think she definitely has the look for it but I don't know that her personality is exactly right. I would be okay with her for Moiraine but I would much prefer Sandra. You may know Rachel from The Mummy, The Lovely Bones, The Brothers Bloom, Definitely, Maybe, Fred Claus, and Constantine.

Elayne
Dianna Agron

When the girls first meet Elayne in the White Tower she acts like the Daughter-Heir that she is. I needed someone who could play both the Daughter-Heir and the tenacious Aes Sedai who falls for Rand. Dianna Agron is the epitomy of princess. In Glee she acted like one but even in her other movies, there is a certain royal air about her even in roles that are not cast that way. She also looks like she could be the daughter of the character I chose for Morgase and the brother of the boy I chose for Gawyn. You may also know her from I Am Number Four, and Burlesque.


Min
Ellen Page
Ellen Page. What more can I saw? I knew she had to be in this cast somewhere and when I saw this picture it shouted Min Farshaw to me. She has her hair cut the same way and Ellen's personality is very similar to Min's. I could see her wearing guy's clothes but finally admitting that she likes dresses later on. Min is probably one of the most likeable characters in the books and Ellen is likeable too. You may know her from Inception, Whip It, Juno, and X-Men.




Aviendha
Laura Prepon

In a stroke of brilliance I selected Laura Prepon to play our favorite Aiel. She needed to have red hair, be tall and strong, and be beautiful. Laura fits all of these. I could see her becoming friends with the character I chose for Elayne and also falling in love with Rand. I can also see her as both a Maiden and a Wise One. She would fit in with the rest of the cast very well. You may recognize her from her small roles on many shows like How I Met Your Mother or for her large role in That '70s Show.


 


Faile
Mia Maestro
It was hard for me to find a good person to play Faile. She had to look Saldean but be strong and beautiful. To be she is a non-Aiel Maiden. Mia Maestro fits the description perfectly. I can see her with Perrin when they first meet, later trying to play politics with Berelain and Alliandre, and in the captivity of the Shaido. You may know her from The Box, Alias, Poseidon, and Deepwater.

2 comments:

  1. So I know that this is an old post, and I am just a random internet person googling "Moraine" for costume ideas, but I really like your casting:) I have always pictured Donna from "That 70s Show" as Aviendah and Ellen Page is perfect. I wonder why though no one has ever mentionned Mila Kunis for Moraine? Think about her, she would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading through the entire Wheel Of Time Series again now that I have the final books. Really like your choices - especially Emmy Rossum as Egwene.

    ReplyDelete